Think about how often your heater or air conditioner is running when you’re not at home. Now, consider this: Heating and cooling accounts for nearly half of the average homeowner’s energy bill. A smart thermostat can help cut the waste while keeping your home comfortable year round.
Some of the advantages of these devices include:
- Energy bill savings – Having greater control over your thermostat and avoiding unnecessary operation can save you significant sums on your power bill. According to Forbes, a high-tech thermostat can save homeowners about 15 percent on their energy bills. On average, that’s a savings of about $131 to $141 per year. People who are very diligent with their new thermostats can save up to 30 percent each year.
- Great for second homes – If you own a vacation home or other rental property, a high-tech thermostat can help you manage climate settings even if you’re hundreds of miles away. Use your device to ensure your property is comfortable for renters when they arrive, and that it doesn’t run unnecessarily when they leave.
- Drill down – Many smart home thermostats can provide a wealth of data about your a/c system’s energy use, including peak times and lulls. Some reports will even let you know how your energy usage stacks up to other users. Armed with this information, you can make smart decisions about when to run your heating and cooling system, and whether it’s time to upgrade to a new energy efficient unit or heat pump.
- Email alerts – High-tech thermostats can be programmed to send email alerts when temperatures inside the home rise or fall outside of pre-determined ranges. This can help you better manage the thermostat and alert you if there’s something going wrong, such as a heating and cooling system malfunction.
- Stay comfortable – Many people have traditional thermostats but try to save energy by turning them off while they’re at work, and then come home to uncomfortably hot or cold houses. A smart device allows you to program the thermostat to heat up or cool down the house when you’re on your way home, allowing you to avoid shivering or sweating the first hour or so after you arrive.
Smart thermostats are a hot tech item and make an excellent gift for homeowners. Technology companies continue to refine these devices, making them more efficient, user-friendly, and capable of providing energy efficiency data.
Washington Energy Services is a family-owned business providing home energy efficiency solutions to Seattle area clients. Founded in 1957, Washington Energy Services has generations of experience in providing heating and cooling and other energy-related services, including sales, installation, and service. A member of the Puget Sound Energy Contractor Alliance Network, Washington Energy Services has an excellent local business reputation.